Wednesday 29 April 2009

Sign Of Labor

Since last week Saturday, I experience some discharge from vagina, with some blood tinged mucous. I have no idea what it was, basically lazy to check it out or ask. Continuously after 2 days of discharge, then I told my hubby about the incident. I was surprise by his answer, "Oh, that is a sign of labor.". Wow! He is more knowledgeable than me!

I have not experience before when I deliver my first baby. I still remembered that night I have an urge of going to toilet, some pinkish watery flow down without any labor contraction or pain. I am very clam that time, rang up my mum to confirm but was advice to call up the hospital. I was told to admit after some question being clarified. 4am out from the house with hubby together, the hospital is near, took us less than 10 minutes to arrive. 4:30am I have changed and laying on the bed, everything was ready. What I am waiting for?

5am labor contraction began, the pain still bearable, we insist not to take epidural, not cost saving, just only to prevent having future side effect on my back. During the contraction, I feel my bed was wet, I just lost control and wet my bed. I feel so embarrass, but with the pain, who cares and bothers!

When one of the nurse entered to check on me, then I told her about it, from there then know it was my water bag burst. I feel relief but on the other hand make me so embarrass again where I even don't know that was my water bag burst. Shame!

Here you go, pushing time, in between I was suffer from muscle cramp at my calf, so horrible and painful till I have to pause to relax, after that continue again, I have no idea how many push I did, but I managed to have a normal delivery to my adorable baby Wayne at 8:37am!

Back to the discharge from vagina issue. Till today, then I went to the internet to find out what it is all about. After reading few articles, that is only an early sign of labor. Here some notes for me to refer: -

What is the mucous plug?
The mucous plug is a collection of cervical mucus that seals the opening of the cervix. It keeps bacteria and infection from entering into the cervix, providing a protective barrier for the developing baby.

What does the mucous plug look like?
Some women describe the mucous plug as looking more like the mucous in your nose. It may look like a thick glob of stringy mucous, thicker than what you would see with normal vaginal secretions. If you are close to going into labor you may see pink, brown, or red blood aound the edges of the mucous plug. This is called the "bloody show".

When do you lose your mucous plug?
Some women will lose their mucous plug or part of their mucous plug weeks before they go into labor. Losing your mucous plug does not always mean labor will begin shortly. Keep in mind that even if a woman has begun to dilate, it may be weeks before she actually goes into labor. However, if you notice blood tinged mucous before your thirty-sixth week of pregnancy, notify your doctor right away. As your body prepares for labor your cervix will begin to dilate and thin. As your cervix opens up, your mucous plug may fall out. Losing your mucous plug is a good sign that labor is on its way. Though, it could be days or even weeks after you lose your mucous plug before labor actually starts. Many women do not lose their mucous plug at one time; instead, they lose it more gradually. They may notice an increase in vaginal secretions weeks before they go into labor.


No comments: