Friday 8 September 2006

What a BOSS I have!

I have a bad day! Terrible day I ever had. I was so sad, extremely sad and disappointed!

One request coming from one of my boss via email to extract some information from a particular Business Partner, and this request is from Australia. Actually, this user does have the rights to access to the page to extract out the records and I don’t understand why this request still comes to me.

Not to say I want to push away the jobs, but from my perspective, R&R as a ‘SUPER’ administrator, those that they (user) can’t find it or the features are not provided in the application, then I will come into the picture and have the work done.

So, I just access to the page and click on the link, save the file and reply to the email with the extracted file and as well provide with the steps and screen capture from where to have the file extracted. Few minutes later, after I send out that email, my so call ‘BOSS’ walk over.

BOSS: AUDREY! (Pause for a while) Is this your 1st job?
Audrey: Nop! (I answered and with lots of question mark in my head)
BOSS: Then! What do you do in your previous job?

I feel so insult when I heard this, are you having doubts with my work experience? This hurt me a lot.

Audrey: Support, as well as analyst data and generate reports.
BOSS: then why did you provide me with such a bad report!

This hurt me even more. With 6 years of work experience as a Programmer to a System Analyst/IT Support Analyst, I have more than enough experience to take up this position.
I stun for a while, there is more question mark (?), coming out from my head. I have no idea what and why did he do that to me. I open the file at my workstation and try to find out what he really wants. What kind of report that he expecting.

BOSS: We are in Marketing! We work in a Marketing department. Can’t you make the report more presentable?

Can he be more polite and don’t be so sarcastic? Can he please find out the reason on why the report is generated like that before questioning me with harsh word? I feel that he is so inconsiderate on how others feel.

I explain to him that is impossible to make the alignment and the structure of the report nice. There is lots of data being entered and the data was store like below.

Audrey: More of this string store in same field. If we extend the column, it will look messier.

As he scrolls down the page and have a glance on the data as I show to him. He keeps quiet for a while.

BOSS: Can you remove all this unwanted string?
Audrey: I can do it with just only 1 record in the file manually but there are lot more in this report, is impossible. Moreover, if I accidentally remove part of the data, what will happen? I don’t think I have the rights to amend.
BOSS: Do you!
Audrey: NO!

He just walks away like that without saying anything. This really drives me crazy! What a BOSS I have! After he left, I walk away from my desk for an hour.

No comments: