Saturday 1 May 2010

Traditional Birthday Food

I don't get to eat mee suah on my birthday where my parents don't practice it. Since my MIL cooked mee suah for my hubby on his birthday, so I just follow, practice them and pick up this traditional birthday food and cook for my kids.

Mee suah usually served with eggs, oysters, pig's large intestine, mushroom, beef, shallots or spring onion. Due to health cautions, my gal is too early to consume adult's food and some other reason, I have modified most of the steps to suits for my gal, drop some ingredients and add-on other ingredients.

A bowl of mee suah that I have prepared for my gal as breakfast on her birthday.



Here is my preparation:
  1. Prepared a pot of chicken stock or fish stock. I used chicken backs, wings and legs, bring them to boil, takes about 4 hours.
  2. Cook mee suah in a wok of boiling water, stir well, mee suah usually cooks fairly quickly. Remove the cooked mee suah from heat, drain and put under a running tap for few minutes to wash away the starch and to prevent further cooking. Set in a serving bowl.
  3. Once your stock is ready, add in your ingredients like vegetables, mushroom and etc till all cook. Pour everything over mee suah.
  4. Lastly, add in hard boil egg before serve.

No comments: